Sep. 19 2013
A former Halliburton manager was charged Thursday with destroying evidence following BP’s 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a case that coincides with a guilty plea to a related charge by the Houston-based oilfield services company.
Anthony Badalamenti, who had been the cementing technology director for Halliburton Energy Services Inc., was charged in federal court with instructing two other employees to delete data during a post-spill review of the cement job on BP’s blown-out well.
Halliburton was BP PLC’s cement contractor on the drilling rig that exploded in the Gulf in April 2010, killing 11 workers and triggering the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.
Badalamenti, 61, of Katy, Texas, is charged in a bill of information, which typically signals that a defendant is cooperating with prosecutors. His attorney, Tai H. Park, declined to comment. Badalamenti is scheduled to be arraigned on Sept. 30.
Also on Thursday, a federal judge accepted a plea agreement that calls for Halliburton to pay a $200,000 fine for a misdemeanor stemming from Badalamenti’s alleged conduct.
U.S. District Judge Jane Triche Milazzo said she believes the plea agreement is reasonable and agreed with prosecutors and the company that it “adequately reflects the seriousness of the offense.”
Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement that Halliburton’s guilty plea and the charge against Badalamenti “mark the latest steps forward in the Justice Department’s efforts to achieve justice on behalf of all those affected by the Deepwater Horizon explosion, oil spill, and environmental disaster.”
The plea deal has its critics, however. Allison Fisher, an outreach director for the Public Citizen nonprofit advocacy group, called it a “travesty.”
"Rather than rubber stamp the plea agreement," she said in a statement, "the court should have rejected the bargain-basement deal because it fails to hold the corporation accountable for its criminal acts and will not deter future corporate crime."
Unlike BP and rig owner Transocean Ltd., Halliburton was not charged with a crime related to the causes of the disaster. The fine Halliburton agreed to pay is the statutory maximum for the misdemeanor charge of unauthorized destruction of evidence.
The deal announced in July also calls for Halliburton to be on probation for three years and to make a $55 million contribution to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, but that payment was not a condition of the deal.
The company said in a statement that closing the case was a good move for the company and that prosecutors have described its cooperation in the case as “exceptional,” as well as “forthright, extensive and ongoing since the outset of the investigation.”
Marc Mukasey, a lawyer who represented Halliburton at Thursday’s hearing, said the company wouldn’t comment on the charge against Badalamenti.
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- deus-lux-solis reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- isaywutuwont reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- isaywutuwont likes this
- shofar7au reblogged this from descentintotyranny
- skyghe reblogged this from descentintotyranny
- kiiddope reblogged this from kaybeebear
- torontochemtrails likes this
- cyberflesh reblogged this from beccastaysposi
- cyberflesh likes this
- pensamiento-serpentino reblogged this from belchingfuckvoice
- pensamiento-serpentino likes this
- amazingthings92 likes this
- kaybeebear reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- maxlibertarios likes this
- isleswoman likes this
- silentropae likes this
- hipersomniac reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- goodtimeswi6969 reblogged this from anti-propaganda
- pulidovonduarte likes this
- theblackcommunist likes this
- notonetoblog likes this
- anti-propaganda reblogged this from raw-r-evolution
- juneboogie likes this
- beccastaysposi reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- bandit1a reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- bandit1a likes this
- knottydreadlocks reblogged this from bourgeoisboobear
- oradianto likes this
- belchingfuckvoice reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm and added:
- cbmilne33 reblogged this from raw-r-evolution
- cbmilne33 likes this
- raw-r-evolution reblogged this from satanic-capitalist
- tminor4 likes this
- bourgeoisboobear reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- cheezbenis likes this
- intimateobsession reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- crazysexycool13 likes this
- disciplesofmalcolm reblogged this from descentintotyranny
- disciplesofmalcolm likes this
- satanic-capitalist reblogged this from crookedthinking95
- warlikeparakeet88 likes this
- liberalwithguts likes this
- shofar7au likes this
- crookedthinking95 reblogged this from descentintotyranny
- descentintotyranny posted this